Comments from xbs2034

xbs2034 commented about AMC Lincoln Square 13 on Jan 20, 2020 at 1:00 pm

The Dolby Cinema still has a balcony. I imagine they had to get rid of 70mm capability in that screen because of Dolby putting in their laser projectors, but I saw Murder on the Orient Express and Phantom Thread in 70mm in a different screen (I think screen 5) so hopefully that screen still has the capability

xbs2034 commented about Paris Theatre on Jan 19, 2020 at 11:00 pm

I saw the animated feature nominee Klaus today, my first visit to the theater since the reopening.

Looked to be better maintained than its City Cinemas days, though sadly just a few people there. The ushers did mention Netflix plans to do renovations starting in March, so maybe there will be more advertising for the theater after that.

xbs2034 commented about Landmark at 57 West on Nov 2, 2019 at 11:17 pm

Bigjoe59- when did you last go here, the attendance has definitely picked up from the very slow first few months, though I’d still say it tends to be on the lighter side. Interestingly, it looks like basically all shows of The Irishman this weekend have sold out, I don’t think I have really seen sell outs here before other than special events.

xbs2034 commented about Paris Theatre on Oct 22, 2019 at 4:40 am

The Irishman comes out 5 days before Marriage Story, and has its theaters already selling tickets so I doubt it. But the hope is if this Marriage Story run is successful, Netflix might rent the theater long term and use it as a site for premieres and showcase runs of their bigger movies.

xbs2034 commented about Paris Theatre on Oct 19, 2019 at 3:00 am

Netflix has rented the theater and will re-open it for the release of Marriage Story (a fantastic movie BTW which I saw at NYFF) on November 6th. Obviously it would be great if Netflix is able to take over the location and save it as a movie theater, but even if it’s just a one-off, is a more dignified send off than the sudden closure City Cinemas gave it.

xbs2034 commented about AMC Lincoln Square 13 on Aug 29, 2019 at 5:50 am

I’m pretty sure Joker will be in regular 70mm film and IMAX laser. That’s what WB did for Kong: Skull Island, Wonder Woman, and Justice League, and when they make IMAX 70mm prints recently, they advertise “IMAX film” (mentioned on the trailers for Nolan’s Dunkirk and Tenet).

xbs2034 commented about Paris Theatre on Aug 29, 2019 at 5:47 am

Indeed, I went several blocks out of my way going home this evening to check out the theater, and there is a small sign on the front door saying it is now closed due to the lease expiring. I have not liked the abrupt way City Cinemas handled these closures, particularly with the Paris which opened over 70 years ago, they could have made an announcement in advance and provided more than a hastily put together note that gives no sense of the cinema’s history.

xbs2034 commented about Paris Theatre on Aug 28, 2019 at 1:28 pm

There are showings listed through Thursday for Pavarotti on Fandango, but they don’t seem to be selectable. I thought this might be the week the theater closed with Labor Day/end of Summer movie season next, but seems like it would be another abrupt closing a couple days early if that’s it.

Can’t say I’m surprised if the Beekman is closing, I went there maybe once a year and crowds were always small. Though if City Cinemas is indeed losing three of its locations in such a short span, it begs the question if the entire chain is in trouble.

xbs2034 commented about AMC Lincoln Square 13 on Jul 21, 2019 at 11:24 pm

It isn’t uncommon to create scope trailers to play in theaters for 1.85 movies just to fill the screen and format of most modern pictures. But yes, saw Lion King in IMAX 3D today, and those five expanded sequences were very impressive and definitely make this the theater to see the movie in.

xbs2034
xbs2034 commented about City Cinemas Cinema 1, 2, and 3 on Jun 25, 2019 at 3:49 pm

Nothing official yet, but Deadline has reported that the Paris is expected to close in July or August.

xbs2034 commented about AMC Kips Bay 15 on May 24, 2019 at 4:09 am

The theater doesn’t have IMAX showings now (at least for the last couple days it looks like) or pre-sales for any upcoming movies in IMAX. 34st is the same thing, so I’m guessing they are doing some renovations, whether full laser upgrades, or some kind of sound or seating upgrades.

xbs2034 commented about AMC Lincoln Square 13 on Oct 27, 2018 at 1:03 am

Yes, also looks like price is $1 more than the standard IMAX price here (and I think the same as IMAX 3D) which I would definitely prefer over the Dolby. I imagine AMC did some market testing, but seems really high, I would say if someone wants to go the Dolby fairly often, they should just join the A List service (which would cover the ticket and is $6.49 less per month than a single adult Dolby ticket here).

xbs2034 commented about AMC Lincoln Square 13 on Oct 17, 2018 at 2:08 am

The basement level concession stand is also down. I was there yesterday to see Bad Times at the El Royale, and it looked like one of the three basement screens was also going through some work

xbs2034 commented about AMC Empire 25 on Oct 12, 2018 at 2:30 pm

I saw the new IMAX laser projector with First Man last night. Some very impressive images, though I still think with theater size and design that Lincoln Square is the best.

xbs2034 commented about First & 62nd St. Cinemas on Oct 10, 2018 at 4:49 pm

The new CMX theater opens with evening shows on October 18th

xbs2034 commented about AMC Lincoln Square 13 on Oct 10, 2018 at 2:43 pm

Yes, it is the Loews screen which is being converted to Dolby Cinema. It’s been closed and under renovation since mid June (the entrances to the theater are covered up with signs advertising Dolby Cinema coming soon).

xbs2034 commented about AMC Lincoln Square 13 on Oct 10, 2018 at 5:12 am

Still under construction (I was there on Sunday). Kinda surprised how long it’s taking given that AMC Empire was able to do their IMAX laser upgrade in less than a month, and this screen already had Atmos like how Empire had 12 channel sound (I’m sure the reclining seating at Dolby Cinema adds to the renovation time, but doesn’t seem like it should be this long).

xbs2034 commented about AMC Lincoln Square 13 on Oct 9, 2018 at 3:37 pm

Probably comes down to cost (an IMAX film print of a movie of that length costs like 30k to produce) and in general new releases being shown on film is a rare thing. I think IMAX laser isn’t quite there to 15/70 when the latter is projected right, but it will fill the screen and still look stunning (a huge difference from when Lincoln Square was using the digital “liemax” projector which left the screen with a windowbox image with black bars on all four sides).

xbs2034 commented about AMC Lincoln Square 13 on Oct 8, 2018 at 11:54 pm

Thriller was formatted to completely fill the 1.43 screen here (since I believe it was shot 4x3, probably was a little cropping used, but I think acceptable to get the effect of filling this huge screen). It looked great, my complaint was since it was basically done as part of the trailer package for House, they had lights up during it which limited the immersion and atmosphere.

xbs2034 commented about AMC Empire 25 on Oct 8, 2018 at 2:51 am

Yes, it opened with Venom this past weekend. I want to see the system, and will probably check it out with First Man (it won’t have the same effect as filling Lincoln Square’s massive screen, but I’ve seen lots of films on laser there already)

xbs2034 commented about AMC Lincoln Square 13 on Oct 7, 2018 at 10:30 pm

Bohemian Rhapsody has generated talk about the best actor awards race from its first screenings. The studio is screening it for awards groups at Lincoln Square this week, as well as an early general audience screening in IMAX on Halloween.

xbs2034 commented about AMC Empire 25 on Sep 21, 2018 at 1:26 pm

The IMAX screen is currently closed, and looks like it will reopen with Venom (though tickets are not on sale yet). Don’t know if it that’s enough time to add a new projector (since they already did the sound, seating, and interior design upgrades), or if it’s just other touch ups.

xbs2034 commented about AMC 19th Street East 6 on Sep 17, 2018 at 4:45 am

I saw the renovated theater today. I expect there is still some exterior work to go, as the Loews signage has been taken down but just put a cheap looking AMC banner hanging in its place.

The seats are different than other AMC recliners, more of a half recliners as it doesn’t go as far back nor provide all the leg room (this was the let down with the seats for me) of other recliners I’ve seen. The back warmer was nice, but I wish there was another setting, as they just had a high and low and I turned it on a few times in the movie but found even on the low setting it felt a bit too warm after a couple minutes and I would then turn it off (had it on high during the previews and that got way too high to me).

xbs2034 commented about AMC 19th Street East 6 on Sep 9, 2018 at 5:10 pm

They also took masking away from Kips Bay when they renovated it (except for the IMAX, which was always an unmasked scope screen and didn’t get updated seating). That theater has a mix of aspect ratios, with the larger screens being scope and the smaller downstairs screens being flat (personally unmasked pillarboxed flat movies on a scope screen bothers me more than letterboxed scope movies). For the IMAX I’ve seen both pollarboxing or cropping used for movies taller than scope.

xbs2034 commented about AMC 19th Street East 6 on Aug 28, 2018 at 11:22 pm

Typically AMC’s policy after renovations is to keep the price the same for between 18 months to two years in order to attract audiences to the theater, and then raise the price up to two dollars (though if you have their A List subscription service, showings at the more expensive theaters are covered with no surcharge).

For instance, I believe Kips Bay (which completed its renovations right around Christmas 2016) still charges the same, but 84st (one of the first to renovate back in 2013) has charged more for years now and must be a very successful theater based on the crowds I see there.