Pavilion Picture Theatre
An aerial photo dated June 1925.
The Grand and Palace-Hippodrome are on St James' Street, as are the Victoria and the Empire.
The triangular cluster of buildings indicated at the top left includes the Pavilion Picture Theatre and the Well Hall Hotel. These buildings are on Church Street at its junction with St James' Street and Yorkshire Street, which goes off to the top of the image.
No one has favorited this photo yet
At the time of the photo, the Empire was still a live theatre. Films came on 19 May 1930.
The Victoria was a live theatre to the end. It was a 2,000 seater and was demolished in 1955. Woolworth’s in the building to the left of it in the photo extended their old building, with architectural sensitivity, and opened it in November 1958.
During WW2 the Victoria was the (evacuated) base for the Old Vic and Sadlers Wells companies from London, from which they toured. Burnley even hosted Lawrence Olivier and Vivienne Leigh for a while.