For many cinemas, sound came with the problem of accommodating the loudspeaker behind the new perforated screen. The Tower (just like its neighbour, the Cecil) housed the loudspeaker horn in a chamber built onto the back of the building. These 1925 and 1931 photos show the before and after. The KYB for 1931 indicates Western Electric sound had been installed. To service the loudspeaker, did the W.E. engineer have to climb a ladder and gain access through that shadowy door on the right of the horn chamber?
No one has favorited this photo yet