The Savoy site in 1951
In 1951 the RAF took extensive aerial photos of Bradford. This is a detail from one shot.
The stark (white) rectangular shape is the (then) Woolworth store on Darley Street. Beyond it is the demolition site which was once the Savoy. The panelling on the auditorium wall is still visible, stepping down the rake of the long-gone auditorium towards the screen end (to the right – Back Piccadilly).
Clearly, although M&S acquired the site in 1939 and demolition took place, building the new store was halted by WW2 and still hadn’t begun in 1951.
No one has favorited this photo yet