Pena y Pena 14,
1 person favorited this theater
Located in the rather run-down town of Tepito, in old Mexico City, this movie theatre opened on 21st February 1952, and was announced as “the biggest cinema in the world”. And, indeed, everything was big in this building. Length was some 300 feet, height came at more than 85 feet, and it seated 7,500 in two levels, plus standing room for 3,000. It was billed as “the cinema for all social classes” and almost from opening it featured “oldies”.
Then, along with the Savoy, the Teresa, the Venus and the Rio, (all of them in downtown Mexico City), was dedicated mainly to project porn films. In the early-1980’s an spectacular fire totally destroyed it, and was demolished. Today an anonymous retail building is on the site.
The style was 1950’s modern, featuring indirect lightning inside, and a round medallion with women dancing directly above the screen, on the ceiling.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater