1920 S. Smithville Road,
3 people favorited this theater
On April 22, 1947 Mid-States Theaters opened the Da-Bel Theatre with Humphry Bogart in “Dead Reckoning” and Penny Singleton in “Blondie’s Big Moment”. It was built at a cost of approximately $125,000. A contest was held to pick a name for the new theatre. Thirteen year old Carol Deitz and Mrs. E. A. Tinnerman each received $50 for suggesting the name of Da-Bel, a combination of DAyton and BELmont, the neighborhood where the theatre was located.
In 1963 plans were made to convert the Da-Bel Theatre to show Cinerama films. The transition involved the installation of a wide, curved screen. Special wiring and booths to hold three separate projectors were installed in the theater, which reduced the theatre’s seating capacity from 950 to 742 (all on a single floor). The cost of the changes were estimated to run around $40,000. Projection equipment valued at $60,000 was leased from Cinerama. Cinerama debuted at the Da-Bel Theatre on May 28, 1963, with “This is Cinerama”.
Later known as the Da-Bel Cinema, it closed in 1992 and was demolished in October of that same year.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater