Central Theater

505 Central Avenue,
Newark, NJ 07107

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

| Street View

This neighborhood Newark house was once operated by Warner Brothers chain. It was opened prior to 1925. It operated until at least 1956. It was converted to church use in the late-1950’s.

Contributed by Jim Thatcher

Recent comments (view all 9 comments)

teecee
teecee on April 1, 2005 at 5:37 pm

Listed in the 1951 FDY. 1293 seats is small !?!

teecee
teecee on June 8, 2005 at 4:19 pm

As of 1925, was operated by Joseph Stern.

teecee
teecee on March 2, 2006 at 1:17 pm

Listed as part of Warner Bros in the 1944 FDY. Listed as part of Stanley Warner Corp. in the 1956 Film Daily Yearbook.

edaltieri
edaltieri on October 9, 2006 at 4:25 am

As a child, I went to the Central Theater in Newark, NJ, every Saturday afternoon from 1949-1954. What memories!

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on June 15, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Still a church? One never knows the age of these Google Maps photos.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on June 15, 2011 at 7:18 pm

The former entrance is the second building from the corner. It had a very long lobby which connected to the auditorium at the rear. The church apparently built a new entrance to the auditorium on the side street.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on April 1, 2012 at 1:46 am

Here is an item about the Central Theatre from the April 21, 1921, issue of Engineering News-Record:

“Newark—Theatre— H. Kappalon. c/o F. Grad, archt. and engrs.. 245 Springfield Ave., having plans prepared for brick and stone, brick foundation, at 505 Central Ave. About $150,000.”
An item in a later issue noted that Grad was revising the plans, and that the projected cost of the theater was now $100,000. Architect Frank Grad also designed Newark’s Stanley Theatre and collaborated on the design of Symphony Hall.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater