424 S. Main Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Opened in June 1948, the Leachman Theatre was considered to be the glamorous and exciting place to take a date. The interior featured Art Deco style murals in dramatic shades including gold, mauve and purple. A gold velvet curtain highlighted the screen. This theatre also featured marble flooring and wall trim as well as deco wall sconces. It was the grandest theater in this area. According to a former employee, the theatre was so advanced the movie could be started from the snack bar.
When the owner died, it fell into the hands of his daughters who turned it over to Carmike management. The Leachman family wouldn’t allow any R-rated movies which proved to be the kiss of death. In the 1970’s and early-1980’s many of the money makers were R-rated movies.
Sadly, the theater closed in the 1980’s and is now a furniture store. Much of the interior is intact and people frequently stop to take a look.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater