3402 Poplar Avenue,
7 people favorited this theater
The Plaza Theatre was located in Poplar Plaza shopping center at Poplar Avenue and Highland Street. It was Memphis' first major shopping center and Augustine Cianciolo took a major gamble by constructing a large neighbourhood theatre.
The Plaza Theatre was opened in 1952 and all seating was on a single level. The exception was two enclosed rooms on either side of the projection booth, party and cry rooms respectively. It was very successful during its many years as a single screen theatre, even after General Cinema purchased its lease in 1961. In its last years it was a twin. The Plaza Theatre was closed in 1987.
Bookstar renovated and occupied the space, keeping the front entrance marquee. The curving metal spire on the front of the building was removed and is now on display in a sheltered niche in a courtyard at the University of Memphis. In 2012, it was converted into a restaurant. The interior was completely gutted but the marquee and front window remain.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater