Pocono Cinema

88 South Courtland Street,
East Stroudsburg, PA 18301

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Showing 8 comments

fordraff
fordraff on January 8, 2014 at 9:59 am

Please read A History of the Movie Theaters in Monroe County to get accurate information on the Pocono Cinema’s history. What is today Pocono Cinema began its existence as The Academy of Music on Tuesday, July 8, 1884. Theater that showed 1st movies in area. The book above is available for sale at the Pocono Community Theater, Carroll & Carroll Booksellers, Monroe County Historical Association and the Quiet Man Bookstore.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on April 9, 2013 at 2:39 pm

An 800-seat house called the Grand Theatre was operating in East Stroudsburg in 1908, when it was included in the list of American theaters published in the September 5 issue of The Billboard. The Pocono Cinema’s building could date from the 1900s, though the front looks a bit plain for the era. The Grand Theatre of 1908 might have been this theater or a predecessor of the same name.

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on January 20, 2011 at 4:34 pm

This theater is indeed open; there is a picture accompanying this article about theaters in the area: View link

movieguy
movieguy on August 19, 2009 at 8:27 am

THIS FINE CINEMA IS OPEN AND IT STATUS SHOULD BE CHANGED TO REFLECT THIS!

danpetitpas
danpetitpas on November 12, 2008 at 12:32 pm

After being closed for nearly six months, the Pocono Cinema is reopening this week as a non-profit community theater.

Going non-profit allowed the cinema to fundraise $30,000 for renovations and to utilize volunteers.

The community will be paid back by bringing people downtown to patronize shops and restaurants.

The previous operator ran out of money after only a year. The building’s owner and former operator ran it for a couple of months before closing it down last April.

Read more at WNEP Newswatch 16 and at the Pocono Record.

jmanbeck
jmanbeck on May 8, 2008 at 2:43 pm

Yetter closed it again for “good” on May 1, 2008.

KimdeB
KimdeB on November 25, 2007 at 10:41 pm

The new owner had to give it up after only a year of ownership, and The Grand closed Nov. 9, 2007.

John Yetter, the man who ran the theater as Pocono Cinema for 10 years before selling the business in 2006, and the man who continues to own the building â€" reopened it on Nov. 21, 2007. He is actively trying to sell the property, but has pledged to keep the movie theater open until he does. He would like to see a non-profit organization take over the theater’s operations.

chip26
chip26 on October 6, 2006 at 3:46 pm

The theatre has changed ownership this past summer and is now called The Grand Cinema and Coffee Shop. It continues the same programming as its predecessor.