No one has favorited this theater yet
Showing 4 comments
Would this also be known as the Prince’s Cinema? Percy Rogers Cooke is listed as the architect for a Prince’s Cinema on Smith Street. Source.
Here are some photos.
Originally opened as the Prince’s Theatre in July 1926, it was equipped with an Estey organ that was opened by William Bohm.
It has now been amalgamated with the adjacent Playhouse Theatre and is in use as part of a five venue performing arts center.
The Colosseum Theatre Durban was a complete refurbishment of the old Prince’s Theatre which was situated next to the Embassy Theatre. This happened in the late 1960s to accommodate the so-called ‘road show’ presentations in 70mm of Fox Theatres who owned the cinema chain which was formerly operated by African Consolidated Theatres.