Essoldo Caledonian Road
474 Caledonian Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Located in the north London district of Lower Holloway, just to the north of King’s Cross. Opened as the Mayfair Cinema on 27th December 1937 with the double bill programme; Marian Marsh in “The Great Gambini” and Jean Muir in “White Bondage”. It was opened by a personal appearance of Gracie Fields who performed on stage singing a selection of her hit songs.
The Mayfair Cinema was built for and operated by the independent operators D.J. James Circuit and was located directly across the road from Caledonian Road tube (underground) station on the Piccadilly Line. It was designed by architect Frederick E. Tasker (after his partnership with architect Leslie H. Kemp had terminated). Interior decoration was by the interior decorators Clark & Fenn. The cinema facilities included two free car parks and a cycle store!
At the end of August 1942 the name was changed to Eagle Cinema, but two weeks later it reverted back to Mayfair ‘By public demand’.
From 13th December 1952 it was taken over by the Essoldo Circuit and was re-named Essoldo. It continued as the Essoldo Caledonian Road until it closed on 26th June 1965 screening Glenn Ford in “The Sheepman” and Kirk Douglas in “The Hook”.
The building was converted into an Essoldo Bingo Club, later operated by Top Rank Bingo and latterly Jasmine Bingo, and this continued until 1996 when it closed. The bulldozers moved in July 1998 and demolished the Mayfair Cinema, which was kept well maintained until the end. A block of flats has been built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater