8-10 Perkins Street,
1 person favorited this theater
This building was constructed in 1890 by the Victoria Theatre Company and used only for the stage performances. It began screening films from 15th July 1901, and during the silent era it was leased to Hoyts Theatres. They continued the stage facility but with the decline of the stage because of cinema use, new cinema facilities were added and the second balcony was removed in 1921. When the stage was needed the screen was ‘flown’. International stars appeared here, including the great tenor Richard Tauber, and the British D'Oyly Carte Opera Company, as well as touring sypmphony orchestras.
With the demise of the cinema Hoyts closed the Victoria Theatre on 30th March 1966 and the sloped stalls floor had another straight floor built above it and the place became Eastman’s clothes shop. The dress circle was untouched and in 1992 the original red velvet curtains were still hanging in the proscenium opening.
It continued in retail use until 1990 and was then boarded up. In November 2000, the Victoria Theatre was classified by the National Trust as a Historic Building. In 2018, restoration work began.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater