Victory Cinema De Luxe
1 person favorited this theater
This theatre opened as the New Adelphi Music Hall 1875, designed by T. Crossley. It went through several names – Princes (1880), Gaiety (1881), Hippodrome (1906) until 1919 when it closed and was extensively altered inside and out to reopen at the Victory Cinema De Luxe in 1920.
The theatre had a range of side and rear private boxes, pit and at least one balcony, probably two. These were swept away by the 1919 alteration (to the designs of Messrs Roberts and Taylor) and replaced a single balcony auditorium. Outside the ground floor level to Union Street was completely altered and faced with glazed tiling in a rich cream and purple colour scheme. The upper levels were more or less left intact.
The cinema continued until 1970, when it closed and became a bingo hall. This in turn closed and the foyer area only became an amusement arcade which closed in 2004.
In October 2005 planning permission was granted to demolish the Victory and replace it with a housing development. The Victory stood almost opposite the Odeon – itself a reconstruction of a former theatre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater