Waldo Theater

7428 Washington Street,
Kansas City, MO 64114

Unfavorite 3 people favorited this theater

Showing 5 comments

lorraine1031
lorraine1031 on January 12, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Another childhood memory brought back to me! I LIVED at the Waldo through grade school. Nearly every Sunday my friends and I would go to the Waldo for the double feature, then walk over to Katz Drugs for a phosphate, while waiting for our ride home. I didn’t realize it was that large though. I had many a birthday party celebration there. It was a much-loved theater. I am going to search for some pictures!

RobbKCity
RobbKCity on February 16, 2007 at 8:04 pm

The remaining building lobby and facade that was formerly the Waldo-Astoria Theater (aka Westmoreland) was destroyed by fire on Friday, February 16, 2007.

The building is a complete loss and will have to be demolished.

The auditorium space had previously been demolished for surface parking for area businesses, but the lobby and concession area had been converted into retail space.

View link

The link may go dead at some point.

Here is the story from the Kansas City Star:

KC firefighters injured as popular bar, bridal shop burn

By KEVIN HOFFMANN, JAMES HART and CHRISTINE VENDEL
The Kansas City Star
February 17, 2007

Five Kansas City firefighters suffered burns this morning during a fire that started about 10 a.m. in a two-story building at 75th and Washington Street.

After an apparent “flashover” engulfed the firefighters, battalion chiefs ordered all firefighters out of the building, sent in a rescue team, took a head count to make sure everyone was safe and called for a second alarm to get more fire equipment on the scene.

Multiple ambulances responded and transported six firefighters to area hospitals. One did not need treatment, one was treated and released and the other four have been admitted to the burn unit at the University of Kansas Hospital.

All are expected to recover.

“They (the injured firefighters) were able to find their way out of the room, which is good,” Battalion Chief Joe Vitale said. All five were wearing their breathing equipment, which prevented respiration injuries, he said.

The firefighters entered the smoke-filled building looking for the fire’s cause, Vitale said. The room suddenly exploded in flames from floor to ceiling, which is known as a flashover.

A flashover occurs when heat from a fire can’t escape and builds until all objects suddenly reach their ignition temperature, and flames suddenly ignite over all the surfaces and objects.

In this case, “there was nowhere else for the heat to go,” Vitale said.

Vitale didn’t know where the fire started or what caused it.

Fire officials initially reported that two firefighters had critical injuries and three suffered serious burns. By early afternoon, hospital officials had confirmed two patients in serious condition, one in good condition and one who had been treated and released. The condition of the fifth firefighter was unknown.

Once the site of the Waldo Astoria dinner theater, the building that burned contained Kennedy’s Bar & Grill, Café Apanaire, the Frankly Basic clothing store and the Gown Gallery.

One bystander, Samatha Skaggs, said it appeared that the fire started inside Kennedy’s, 7428 Washington, and that flames spread rapidly after firefighters entered. One firefighter came back out covered in flames, she said.

“It started out small, just smoke,” said she. “Then it billowed into flaming disaster. … I just pray that everybody is OK.”

Crews continued to battle the blaze from outside. Part of the roof collapsed before 11 a.m. as smoke and flames poured out of the building. Crews battling water pressure problems shut down water to one pumper to give other trucks more pressure. Vitale didn’t know to what extent the lack of water pressure affected operations, but he said the city water department was called to help boost pressure.

Additional fire crews were ordered about 11:10 a.m., and firefighters said they feared the building would collapse. Much of the roof did.

A co-owner of Kennedy’s said that employees usually arrive after 10 a.m., so no one would have been preparing food at the time the fire started.

Erica Titus, a former worker at Gown Gallery, had headed there to visit former co-workers before realizing the building was on fire.

“This is very, very emotional,” she said.

At 12:15 p.m., fire officials said their crews had gained control of the fire, and they weren’t afraid that it would spread further. Four trucks continued to pour water on the blaze.

George Throener, who was at a coffee shop about a block away when the first fire trucks first arrived, said he watched bakery workers knock on other doors to tell people to get out.

“I saw one (firefighter) come out, and his hands were burnt,” he said.

Paramedics wrapped his hands in gauze and put him in an ambulance, he said.

mlind
mlind on September 12, 2005 at 10:40 am

If you compare the picture of the bakery with the ones located at the other links, it’s obviously the same building or at least the facade.

mlind
mlind on February 15, 2005 at 3:50 pm

Correct link for above website View link