Star Theatre

51 Chenango Street,
Binghamton, NY 13901

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 2 comments

adamghost
adamghost on September 9, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Closed July 1, 1951 (as was the Regus, both in the Comerford Chain). The Press on June 17, 1951 ran a humorous (but respectful) story about its closure in western dialect (apparently the Star was the go-to for kids to see westerns at the time it closed doors). There is a photo of pictures waiting in line in front of the Star…good view of the ticket counter and poster enclosure.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on November 24, 2010 at 3:07 am

An essay at this web page is primarily about the Strand Theatre, but also has some information about the Star.

The Star Theatre opened on October 20, 1913. It was the second theater of that name to operate on this site, the first having been converted from a storefront cafe in 1908. The house was originally called the Nickle Theater, but operator Ned Kornblite soon renamed it the Star. It was the first regular movie theater in Binghamton.

The 1913 building that replaced it was designed by architect Sanford O. Lacey, who had also designed the Stone Opera House (later called the Riviera Theatre) a few doors down the block. In 1920, Kornblite built the Strand Theatre on a lot next door to the Opera House. He continued to operate both the Star and the Strand until 1935, when he sold them to Comerford Theatres.

The Strand and the Riviera are still standing, though in a sorry state of decay, but the Star Theatre was demolished some time before 1966.