15 High Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Built for the London & Southern Super Cinemas Ltd, chain, the Ambassador Cinema opened on 8th March 1937 with Tom Walls in “Dishonour Bright”. Well known British film star Will Hay made a personal appearance at the opening.
The Ambassador Cinema was designed in a smart Art Deco style with seating provided for 1,124 in the stalls and 521 in the balcony level. It was equipped with a Compton 3Manual/8Rank theatre organ with Grand Piano that was opened by Thomas Grosch. The organ chambers were above the proscenium. Other facilities in the building were a tea lounge that had a sprung dance floor.
Within months of opening the Ambassador Cinema was taken over by the Oscar Deutsch chain of Odeon Theatres Ltd. from July 1937. It was re-named Odeon from 30th April 1945.
The Odeon closed on 3rd July 1976 and was converted into a Top Rank Bingo Club. Today it still operates as a bingo hall operated by the Independent chain of Crown Bingo Clubs.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater