629 Broad Street,
3 people favorited this theater
The Pitman Theatre opened on September 26, 1947 with Yvonne De Carlo in “Slave Girl”, and was designed by Birmingham based architect David O. Whilldin. In 1963, a ‘Hollywood’ type premiere of “To Kill A Mockingbird” was held for Mary Badham & Phillip Alford, child actors from this area (they returned 45 years later for an encore showing). The Pitman Theatre closed in 1983, and was willed to the City of Gadsden after its owner passed away in 1986. It sat vacant and in a state of disrepair until efforts to restore it were begun in 1997.
The exterior has been almost completely restored and work is continuing on the interior. The original lobby and projection booth are still in place, but the auditorium had to be gutted because of the severe damage it had sustained.
Current plans for the theater are for conversion into a multi-purpose community center.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater