Strand Theatre

205 N. Washington Street,
Owosso, MI 48867

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 6 comments

CharmaineZoe
CharmaineZoe on February 22, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Opened in July 1916 it was on the site of the old Owosso theatre, a legitimate house for half a century. Seated 602 & had 2x Motiograph projectors.

Source and more 1916 info at : archive.org/stream/movingpicturewor30newy#page/241/mode/1up

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on June 30, 2012 at 12:31 am

A history of Genesee County published in 1916 features a biographical sketch of Flint, Michigan, architect George J. Bachmann, and mentions the Strand Theatre at Owosso as one of his works. Bachmann would later design the Capitol Theatre (Lebowsky Center) as well. The August 19, 1916, issue of The Moving Picture World said that the new Strand Theatre in Owosso had been opened on July 6.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on July 22, 2007 at 11:29 am

Here is a postcard view of the Strand Theater.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 1, 2006 at 2:22 pm

Here is a link with a photo of the rear of the theater:
View link

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 1, 2006 at 2:18 pm

From the Internet Movie Database:

Back to God’s Country (1919)

Trivia: Critically ill, lead actor Ronald Byram left the shoot during the first two weeks and was replaced by Wheeler Oakman. It is probable that it is Byram in the close-ups in the sledge in the final chase scenes. Roy Laidlaw is frequently but erroneously referred to as Ralph Laidlaw in the trade press of the time. Edna Shipman did not act in this film as is sometimes claimed. The film opened at the Strand Theater in Owosso, Michigan where it played for three days.

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on January 31, 2006 at 11:42 pm

Listed in Film Daily Yearbook; 1941 and 1943 editions as (Closed). In the 1950 edition of F.D.Y. it was open.