114 - 118 Pine Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Roxy Theatre opened on 7th April 1930 with Victor McLagen in “The Black Watch”. It was built for local Riverina entrepeneur George Conson. Designed by noted cinema architectural firm Kaberry & Chard in a mix of Art Deco and Spanish Mission styles. The seating capacity of 1,091 was provided in stalls and balcony levels. It was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system.
In October 1933 the stage and an orchestra pit were added and noted Australian soprano Gladys Moncrieff made apprearances for six nights to celebrate the occassion. Since then the procenium has been brought forward, loosing the original decorative one.
The theatre was theatened with redevelopement in 1977 and was saved by the local community. It now operates as the Roxy Community Theatre with a mix of live productions, meetings and movies twice weekly. Owned by the local Council it now has a seating capacity of 880. It is Listed on the New South Wales Historic Buildings Register.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater