Prince of Wales' Cinema
331 Harrow Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Located in the inner-city west London district of Westbourne Park area of Paddington. The Prince of Wales' Cinema was built on the site of an earlier Prince of Wales' Picture Playhouse (1912-1934) which had 650 seats and was designed by architect M. Wilson. The new cinema was built for W.C. Dawes' Modern Cinemas circuit, a small independent chain of cinemas in west London.
It opened on 27th October 1934 with Tom Walls in “A Cup of Kindness” and George Arliss in “The House of Rothschild”. Architects J. Stanley Beard and W.R. Bennett designed a pleasing Art Deco style cinema which was equipped for cine/variety programmes. The facade of the building was clad in cream faiance tiles and had three large windows in the centre which let in light to the large foyer. Seating was provided in stalls and balcony levels and the auditorium was illuminated by indirect lighting.
It was taken over by John Maxwell’s Associated British Cinemas (ABC) chain from 19th February 1935 and they continued to operate it throughout its uneventful life. It was closed on 23rd November 1968 with the off circuit programme; Terry Jenkins in “Bandidos” and Tetsuro Tamba in “The Assassination” (“Ansatsu”).
It was converted into a Mecca Bingo Club from 1970 which continued for many years, latterly operated by the independent Jasmine Bingo Club chain. It closed in September 1996 when Jasmine went bankrupt and all their assets were frozen. The Prince of Wales' was sold to property developers and was demolished in August 1997, housing was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater