206 W. Reno Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Paramount opened its cheaply built (1929) Pix Theater on naughty Reno Street, and their small investment paid off in spades.
There’s no need for descriptive detail as the tiny Pix had not even one attractive attribute.
Reno was a street where (back in the day) “respectable” ladies didn’t tread unescorted, therefore Pix patronage was predominantly male. Aware of its audience Paramount booked pictures geared toward mens' taste; such as detective dramas, action potboilers, ganster movies, plus extra news reels and sports shorts.
In late 1948 Paramount was forced to relinquish control of their profitable Pix Theater, and new owners began booking “T & A” erotica that main stream theaters refused to exhibit.
Though all theater signage were removed after the Pix closed in 1963, the lobby concession stand continued in operation until just one week before the building came down in 1971.
Noted photo journalist Dorothea Lange’s 1937 (Library of Congress) image of Oklahoma City’s Pix can be seen by clicking the link below.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater