Belmar Theater

721 N. Homewood Avenue,
Pittsburgh, PA 15208

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 6 comments

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on August 2, 2014 at 11:18 am

The 1963 photo of the Belmar Theatre’s marquee can now be seen at this link.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on March 31, 2013 at 11:52 pm

The Belmar Theatre was one of several Rowland & Clark houses designed in the mid-1910s by architect Harry S. Bair. It opened in November, 1914, according to an article in the July 15, 1916, issue of The Moving Picture World which quoted James B. Clark.

edblank
edblank on May 29, 2008 at 5:12 pm

The Belmar was the largest and apparently the nicest of the theaters in the Homewood-Belmar section of Pittsburgh.

It opened in 1915 as Belmar Photoplays and soon shortened its identity to the Belmar.

Seating was reported as being in the 580-600 range.

The theater played late-run double bills, the last of which was a United Artists combo of the then-recent “Midnight Cowboy” (1969) and “Hour of the Gun” (1967).

The Belmar closed in 1970 but remained in place for many years thereafter with the titles of the final fouble feature on the marquee. Eventually it was razed.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on September 8, 2006 at 10:40 am

Here is a better view of the Belmar, taken in 1963:
http://tinyurl.com/gnj6r