1018 Main Street,
5 people favorited this theater
The Metropolitan Theatre was truly a lavish and magnificence representation of its Egyptian themed decor. Millions of pieces of ceramic tile were inlaid to form floor and wall mosaic murals of the pharaohs and ancient Egyptian symbols. A sphinx guarded the temple-like balcony approaches.
Alfred Charles Finn, who also designed the neighboring Loew’s State Theatre, was the architect for the Metropolitan Theatre, built for Jesse H. Jones at a cost of $2,000,000.
An innovative hydraulic pit raised the Metropolitan Orchestra up into sight for elaborate stage presentations.
Operated by the Publix Theatres Corp., the Metropolitian opened on December 25, 1926. and could seat almost 2,300. Interior photos and plans, including of the auditorium, appear in the 1st Volume of the book “American Theatres of Today” (1927).
From the early-1940’s, the theatre was operated by the Interstate Theatres chain. The Metropolitan Theatre was the first Houston theatre to be converted to CinemaScope in the early-1950’s showing “The Robe”. The massive Wurlitzer theatre organ from the Metropolitan Theatre has been preserved and is now installed in the Houston Community College main auditorium.
The Metropolitan Theatre was demolished in 1973.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater