Embassy Theatre

342-350 Northampton Street,
Easton, PA 18042

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 3 comments

rockywoods
rockywoods on May 12, 2012 at 9:08 pm

This theatre first opened in 1907 as “The Jewel Theatre”

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on May 29, 2008 at 3:06 pm

A Marr & Colton theater organ was installed in the Embassy Theater in 1927.

drumrboy36
drumrboy36 on August 22, 2006 at 12:37 pm

The Embassy Theatre, at 342-350 Northampton St. in Easton, was the site of the former Abel Opera House. The opera house presented many dramatic and operatic companies in the late 19th century and early 20th century. A large lodge room and two stores also comprised the historic building. In an Easton Express article written by John Bonnell in 1957, Bonnell said the building’s site was one of the most historic in the city.Admission was 25 cents in June 1913 for those patrons who wished to see Thomas Edison’s talking pictures during Old Home Week. Two fires struck the theater in a little more than two years. One fire was started by a discarded cigarette on June 12, 1924. The second occurred March 26, 1926, due to defective wiring. Around that time, the operators decided to turn the place of “live” theater into a movie house. The last movies played at The Embassy in May 1966. “When Gangland Strikes” and “Doctor at Sea” brought an end to an era in Easton. The property was sold to Arthur P. Siegal to be transformed into a ladies apparel store.
From the Easton Express Times, Nov 5, 2005. online edition.