5 W. North Avenue,
7 people favorited this theater
Parkway Theatre (Official)
Styles: Italian Renaissance
Previous Names: Loew's Parkway Theatre, Five West Theatre
News About This Theater
- Mar 25, 2012 — Parkway Theatre needs to flourish again
- Dec 15, 2009 — Seawall, Cormony tapped for Parkway Theatre project
- Feb 25, 2004 — Today's Newsreel
- Oct 9, 2003 — Parkway Theatre Restoration Begins
The Parkway Theatre is located on W. North Avenue in Baltimore City, just west of Charles Street.
The 1,100-seat theatre was opened October 23, 1915 with Pauline Frederick in “Zaza”. Built by Henry W. Webb’s Northern Amusement Company. The auditorium is an almost direct copy of the auditorium of the 1913-built West End Cinema Theatre/Rialto Theatre, Coventry Street, London, England, which was seen by Henry W. Webb while on a trip to London in 1913. The Parkway Theatre was equipped with a Moller 2 manual, 15 ranks theatre organ. In 1926 it was taken over by Loew’s Inc. and they employed architect John Eberson to redecorate the theatre. The Moller organ was replaced by a Wurlitzer 2 manual, 8 ranks instrument.
The area fell on hard times and the Parkway Theatre was closed in 1977. It became a Korean Businesses Owners Assn. Headquarters in 1989, and became office space in the 1990’s, but later became vacant.
Plans in 2001 to save the Parkway Theatre were also unsuccessful. With an upturn in the area in recent years, in early-2013, it was announced the Parkway Theatre was to be renovated and used as a new home for the Maryland Film Festival. The Parkway Theatre was reopened May 3, 2017. In addition to the original auditorium which now seats 925, two additional screens each seating 85 have been added.
The Charles Theatre, Baltimore’s ‘Art theatre’ is just around the corner on Charles Street.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.