Ritz Theatre

1481 Main Street,
Sarasota, FL 34236

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 2 comments

AndyCallahanMajorMajor
AndyCallahanMajorMajor on October 27, 2010 at 4:48 am

The Virginian was opened by B.D. Robinson in 1916. Initially a vaudeville house, it began showing motion pictures a few months after opening. The Virginian became the Sarasota sometime in the 20s, and then changed its name to the Ritz in 1934, at which point it was run by the E.J. Sparks circuit. The Ritz was the first of the two major downtown theaters to close. It was operated by Florida State Theaters in its later years. The building was demolished in 1968 and a parking lot was established in its place. A restaurant is now on the site. The theater’s address would’ve been about 1481 Main Street (the northwest corner of Main and Lemon).