19 S. Pulaski Road,
3 people favorited this theater
The Crawford Theater opened on March 14, 1914 in the Garfield Park neighborhood on Crawford Road (now Pulaski) at Madison Street, and at the time, was that neighborhood’s most lavish and largest movie house.
It supposedly cost over $150,000 to build. The Crawford Theater was originally operated by the West End Amusement Co. but was shortly thereafter taken over by the Lubliner & Trinz circuit.
It once contained a pipe organ and could seat almost 1,300.
After the opening of the huge Marbro and Paradise Theaters not far away in the late-1920s, however, the Crawford Theater began to decline in popularity. The Crawford Theater was part of the Essaness chain during the 1940’s and 1950’s.
Renamed the National Theater by the 1960’s, it was last screening Spanish-language and kung-fu films. The Crawford Theater continued to operate as least through the 1960’s before closing. The building no longer exists.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater