Tremont Theatre

396 Main Street,
Ansonia, CT 06401

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

| Street View

The theater was built in 1926 and was a three-story brick structure referred to as the Olderman Building, after the builder, Max Olderman. The theater was on the first floor with two storefronts, bowling alley on the second and the Ansonia Dress Company on the third. The nearby Capitol Theatre fared much better.

The Tremont Theatre was operated by Warner Bros. Circuit Management Corp. by 1941, and screened many westerns during the 1940’s and early-1950’s. It showed its last movie in 1951 but was listed as a movie theater until 1953, so I assume it lay vacant.

It saw a serious fire in 1932 and 1954 on the first floor and one in the basement in 1956. It was razed in 1963 for the town’s redevelopment.

Contributed by Dave Bonan

Recent comments (view all 3 comments)

PaperMemories on June 25, 2011 at 11:24 am

The ‘Tremont Theater’ was on the southwesterly corner of Main & Tremont Sts. Following the “Flood of ‘55”, in the '60’s 'Reconstruction" razed virtually all the buildings south of Tremont Street, down to front Street in Ansonia. A Mall and other retail buildings, took their place. That Mall subsequently folded, and a mini-mega store area has taken it’s place.

Roger Katz
Roger Katz on January 22, 2015 at 5:20 am

This theatre could not have been built in 1926 as it is listed in the 1914/15 American Motion Picture Directory.

Roger Katz
Roger Katz on January 22, 2015 at 6:04 am

Actually further research shows the Tremont Theatre built in 1926 was the second one on the site. The original Tremont was a church that was converted to a movie theatre in 1910 before being demolished so the newer one could be erected.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater