143 E. Houston Street,
25 people favorited this theater
The entertainment beginnings of this building came in 1909 when it opened as the Houston Hippodrome, a venue for Yiddish vaudeville acts and films.
In 1917, the theatre’s ownership changed and the 600-seat venue was renamed the Sunshine Theatre. In the late-1930’s it was renamed Chopin Theatre. The theatre closed in 1945 and had been used as a storage warehouse into the mid-1990s.
Following a three-year, $12 million renovation project, the Sunshine Cinema is back and set to due battle with the famed Angelika and Film Forum theatres which, up until recent years had been the favorite destinations of the art house set.
The Sunshine Cinema certainly fills a need in the area as there are few movie theatres in or around the Lower East Side. The facade has been restored and 3 of the 5 auditoriums contain stadium seating, while all have plush seats and the latest sound and projection equipment.
The theatre is the first for Landmark Theatres in the much coveted New York indie market.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater