Cannon Great Yarmouth
No one has favorited this theater yet
Built on the site of the Theatre Royal. This was a fantastic structure built as the Regal Cinema which opened on 1st January 1934 with Charles Laughton in “The Private Life of Henry VIII” and James Murray in “The Air Hostess”. Film star Merle Oberon made a personal appearance. It boasted a Compton 2Manual/5Ranks theatre organ. It ran mainly as a cinema but also because of it’s size hosted various stage shows and pop concerts, especially in the summer months when this seaside town was packed with holiday-makers.
Taken over by Union Cinemas in 1936 and operated by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) from 1937, it was operated for the last couple of years of its life by the Cannon Cinema Group and was re-named Cannon Cinema. It closed in late-May 1988 with Eddie Murphy in “Eddie Murphy Raw”.
A real loss when with very little fuss it was demolished and in it’s place a fast food outlet, card outlet and charity shop were built.
A real shame!
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater