29 N. 7th Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Opened in November 1897, the Grand Opera House was located on N. 7th Street at Cherry Street. It was meant to replace the earlier Naylor Opera House, which was destroyed in a fire in 1896. The Grand Opera House originally seated over 1,300, and besides opera, hosted plays, minstrel shows, and local religious and political gatherings.
Among those to appear onstage here included John Phillip Sousa, Ethel Barrymore, Lillian Russell, Al Jolson, and George M. Cohan. At the time, Terre Haute was known as the “entertainment hub” of western Indiana.
By the early-1930’s, when movies replaced live entertainment there, the Grand Opera House became known as the Grand Theatre. By 1941 it was operated by Alliance Theater Corp. In 1959 the Grand Theatre closed, and after a farewell banquet was held in the Grand Theatre, the building was torn down in August, 1960.
The Liberty Theatre was then renamed Grand Theatre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater