32 Blacker Road,
1 person favorited this theater
The Palladium Cinema at Birkby, Huddersfield, was one of the smallest but popular suburban cinemas that once operated outside the town centre (there were 21 in total based on 1958 figures).
It opened on 16th March 1914 with “Half a Chance”. The architects were J. Hall & Sons of Huddersfield who designed a cinema which had a seating capacity of 500, all on a single floor. It operated until closing on 20th February 1937.
All but the side walls were demolished and a new cinema in an Art Deco style was designed by architect J.H. Freer of Fenay Bridge. It re-opened on 30th August 1937 with Will Hay in “Good Morning Boys” and Sylvia Sydney in “Sabotage”. Now known as the Carlton Cinema a balcony had been added and it now had a seating capacity of 674. It operated until closing on 10th July 1954 with Dennis O'Keefe in “The Intruder”(Cover Up) and “Beneath the Seven Seas”.
It briefly became a bingo hall. In the late 1960’s it became a small mosque and remains so to this day.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater