Curzon Cinema

520 Sauchiehall Street,
Glasgow, G2 3LW

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Showing 3 comments

garypainter
garypainter on November 15, 2007 at 6:21 pm

The club has changed names yet again – as of autumn 2007, it has been known as The Classrooms.

garypainter
garypainter on August 13, 2007 at 11:20 am

As a nightclub, the building seems to change names every few years – it was called The Velvet Rooms in the mid-90s, before very briefly being renamed Bed, then Blanket sometime in the early 2000s. Now known as Guru, the interior is subdivided into various rooms, with no trace of the former use as a cinema evident in the public areas at least.

The building’s front and rear facade pre-date the cinema, having seemingly been built as a piano showroom in the 1890s, hence the Beethoven bust. There may be elements of even older 19th-century building between the parallel facades on Sauchiehall and Renfrew Streets. Cinema specialist John Fairweather was responsible only for the cinema conversion in 1912, which was largely internal alterations. The earlier exterior work was by David Paton Low, with later upper floors by Bruce & Hay.

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on June 5, 2007 at 5:57 am

Here are some photographs and details on the Curzon Cinema:
View link