Studio 1 & 2
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Carlton Cinema was the last of the super cinemas to be built in Salford, to the north of Manchester in the Broughton district.
The Carlton Cinema opened on Wednesday May 5th, 1937 with 2,500 seats in stalls and balcony levels. The whole building had an Italian theme with terrazzo floors. Above the 42 feet wide proscenium was a carved scene of Venice, "a gondola cleaving the watery thouroughfare". Grilles in the walls were Venetian in design and there was also inlaid Italian Marble ornamentation. The stage was 22 feet deep and there were 2 dressing rooms. It was equipped with a Christie 3Manual theatre organ. The cinema also had a café for the convenience of its patrons.
Like many cinemas, the Carlton Cinema stuggled with the advent of television and the Bingo craze that swept Britain in the 1960’s. It closed as a single screen super cinema in 1962 to be converted into a casino and club with bingo and roulette.
After a few months, it closed again to reopen as a casino downstairs and a 887 seat cinema in the former balcony. It was finally twinned in 1970 with a second 130-seat mini-cinema being created in the former cafe, now known as Studio 1 & 2.
The cinemas closed again in January 1984 and the former stalls area became a snooker/leisure centre. It was demolished in the late-1980’s.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater