17 West Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Originally planned as an independent cinema which was to be known as the Forum Cinema, the scheme was re-worked and Oscar Deutsch’s Odeon Theatres Ltd chain took over and built the theatre.
The Odeon Theatre opened on 18th December 1937 with Clive Brook in "Action for Slander". The facade of the building was clad in faiance tiles and had a series of six projecting ribs in the centre over the entrance. In later years, these decorations were removed/rendered over which gave the building a much plainer appearance. Inside the auditorium seating was provided for 1,236 in the stalls and 684 in the circle. Lighting was via concealed lights in troughs which ran across the ceiling.
The previous Odeon Brighton around the corner on Kings Road reverted back to its original name Palladium Theatre when this new Odeon opened.
The Odeon closed on 19th April 1973 with Dean Jones in "Snowball Express". A new Odeon (currently open in 2015) was opened on the same day which is located in the nearby Brighton Centre that was built on the site of the former Palladium/Odeon.
This Odeon stood empty and derelict for many years and was finally demolished in 1990 and an office block was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater