139 Cowbridge Road East, Canton,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Built 1912 as the Canton Coliseum and for much of its time second-best to the nearby Canton Cinema. It opened on 6th January 1913 with “Panthers Boy” and “The Indelible Star”.
Anecdotal evidence from local residents refers to "seats with holes in","always breaking down" and by the late 1950’s the Coliseum, part of the local Willis group was a long way from the luxurious venue described when it opened.
Bingo took over in around 1962 and for the first time in many years queues were seen outside the "Colla".
The success enabled some long-overdue redecoration to be done and a mix of bingo and films continued for many years until the Coliseum showed its final film in January 1986. It went over to full time bingo but this closed in the late 1980’s and the building was sold for re-development and was demolished. A purpose-built bingo hall was erected for Castle Bingo.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater