18 W. Monroe Street,
19 people favorited this theater
The Majestic Theatre was opened in 1906 as a venue for primarily vaudeville seating almost 2,500, but also infrequently screened movies, as well. (The building itself in which the theatre and attached office tower are located in is still referred to as the Majestic Building). It was designed by architect Edmund C. Krause who had a gentleman named George Leslie Rapp working for him as a draftsman and designer. The following year (1907) G.L. Rapp would form the architectural firm C. W. & Geo. L. Rapp with his elder brother Cornelius Ward Rapp, which would become the famous & prolific Chicago architectural firm Rapp & Rapp.
During the 1910’s and into the 1920’s, the Majestic Theatre was part of the Orpheum vaudeville circuit in Chicago, along with such other Loop theatres as the Palace Theatre and the State-Lake Theatre. The Majestic Theatre was closed in the early-1930’s after a couple of years of sporadic use and remained dark for over a decade.
From 1945 until 2005, it was named the Shubert Theatre, by the theatrical family which took over the theatre at this time, after their late brother, Sam Shubert. Since then, the theatre has been used for stage shows and often plays host to Broadway shows when they come to Chicago.
The Shubert Theatre, renamed the LaSalle Bank Theatre after its financial benefactor, closed in January 2005, while it underwent a $40 million restoration. It reopened in 2006.
In May 2008, the LaSalle Bank Theatre received yet another new name, the Bank of America Theatre, after the name change of the former LaSalle Bank, acquired by Bank of America in October 2007, was made official. It was renamed PrivateBank Theatre in December 2015.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater