Essoldo Ellesmere Port
1b Whitby Road,
1 person favorited this theater
The Queen’s Cinema was opened in 1913 by the Ellesmere Port Picture Palace Co. Seating was provided in stalls and circle and the auditorium had a barrel-vaulted ceiling, typical of purpose-built cinemas of this period.
During the early-1940’s it was taken over by Southam Morris’s S.M. Super Cinemas chain and they operated it until 26th August 1954 when it was taken over by the Essoldo Circuit (Control) Ltd. and the building was re-named Essoldo.
From February 1968 it began a mixed policy of films and bingo on different days. In November 1968, films were dropped entirely and it became a full time independent bingo club, later becoming a Mecca Bingo Club.
The bingo club closed in spring-2004 and in 2005 the building was converted into a bathroom & shower showroom.
The former Queen’s Cinema is a Grade II Listed building, designated by English Heritage in 2000.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater