Academy of Music

225 - 227 King Street,
Charleston, SC

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 2 comments

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on December 27, 2007 at 6:59 pm

A Moller theater organ opus 3689 size 2/9 was installed in the Academy of Music in 1923.

rsalters (Ron Salters)
rsalters (Ron Salters) on December 25, 2007 at 11:07 am

What apparently is this theatre is listed under Charleston, SC in the 1897-98 edition of the Julius Cahn Official Theatrical Guide. The name is “Owens Academy of Music”. Unfortunately, the Guide does not list street addresses. The theatre was managed by W.T. Keogh and Charles W. Keogh; it was on the ground floor, had 1,400 seats, and both gas and electric illumination. The proscenium opening was 21 feet wide X 34 feet high, and the stage was 39 feet deep. Local newspapers were the News and Courier, the Post, and the Sun. Hotels for show folk were the St. Charles, Calhoun, Pavillion, National and Caroline. The 1897 population of Charleston was 70,000.