Tatler Cinema Club
1 Hoe Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Located in the east London district of Walthamstow, at Bell Corner at the northern end of Hoe Street. The Empire Cinema opened on 21st February 1913 with “Captain Scott, R.N., to the South Pole”. Seating in the auditorium was in stalls and a small circle. It was built for the Good Brothers, a local builders merchants, who originally operated the Queens and Arcadia Cinemas in Walthamstow and the Scala in Leyton. All these cinemas were taken over by Hamilton Cinemas Ltd. in May 1933, but were closed en-block two months later due to fierce competition.
The Empire Cinema was taken over by Amusements (Leyton) Ltd. and re-opened in December 1933 but by 1937 it was operated by Clavering & Rose. In March 1961 it was re-named Cameo Cinema. Closed as a regular cinema on 31st August 1963 with Nancy Kwan in “Tamahine”. It became a bingo club, and showed Bollywood Asian films on Sundays.
Clavering and Rose had been taken over by Classic Cinemas Ltd., and the cinema was re-opened as a Tatler Cinema Club on 12th April 1970, screening uncensored sex films to ‘members only’ (not ‘full-on’ porn, but usually Continental sex films which had been refused a British Board of Film Censors Certificate). The Tatler Film Club closed on 16th August 1981.
The building was converted into an amusement arcade, and then it became a snooker club, which still operates today.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater