324 Hoe Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the east London district of Walthamstow. The Queen’s Cinema opened in 1911 with 606, all on a single floor. The entrance was made through the ground floor of a terraced house, with the auditorium built at the rear, parallel to Hoe Street. The ground the auditorium stood on, had been the builders yard of local builders merchants Good Brothers, who built and operated the cinema.
The Queen’s Cinema was taken over by Hamilton Cinemas Ltd. in May 1933, together with the Empire Cinema, Walthamstow and the Scala Cinema, Leyton (both these were built for and operated by the Good Brothers). All three cinemas were closed in July 1933 en-mass, due to fierce competition. The Queen’s Cinema was taken over by Amusements (Leyton) Ltd. in April 1934 and was refurbished with the seating increased to 800, still all on one floor. By 1937 it was being operated by Clavering & Rose.
The Queen’s Cinema closed on 14th September 1940 with Basil Rathbone in “The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes”. It became a store, but was later unused for many years, and stood derelict until March 1959 when it was converted into the Paradise Snooker Club. During this use, a low false ceiling was inserted in the auditorium, which concealed all details of the original barrel ceiling. Converted into an independent bingo club in the 1970’s, that use closed in around 1990.
Again, the building lay empty and unused until 1996 when the false ceiling was removed and the auditorium was converted into an indoor cricket centre known as the Pavilion. This lasted a couple of years and in around 1998, the building was converted into its current use today, as home to the Pavilion Banqueting Suite.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater