75 Tredegar Street,
1 person favorited this theater
The town of Risca is sometimes listed in the 1930’s as being Monmouthshire in England, but due to boundry changes it is now definitely in Wales, located near to the south Wales town of Newport, Gwent.
The Palace Cinema opened in 1912 with a seating capacity given as 1,000. Many patrons would have been squeezed onto long benches to give this capacity. The cinema has a ornamented facade, with a central entrance, above which is a small round window surounded by ornamental swags. The interior was said to be ‘rather plain’ except for painted walls, possibly stencil patterned. It was used as a cine-variety house from the beginning and has a 30 feet wide proscenium and a 10 feet deep stage. With normal cinema seating installed by the 1930’s, the capacity was given as 800.
The Palace Cinema was always an independently operated cinema, and continued serving the town until 1965 when it was closed. It became a bingo club for a short period of time, but that was not too successful and the building has been closed and unused for many years. In recent years it has been converted into a library and offices for the local council.
The former Palace Cinema is designated a Grade II Listed building. In January 2006 a planning application was forwarded to the Ancient Monuments Society which proposed demolition of the building, retaining just the facade.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater