Dara Cinema

N. Main Street,
Naas

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 2 comments

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete on August 13, 2016 at 8:38 am

The Coliseum opened on 15 February 1940 with Batchelor Mother and closed with Lust for a Vampire on 8 August 1972. The 750-seater was owned by the Kelly Family who sold it to Modern Irish Theatres and it reopened on 1 September 1972 with the Dirty Dozen. It was remodelled in the early 1980s to incorporate a shopping mall and eventually closed on 8 February 2007 with Goal 2 and Infamous. The cinema is now occupied by the Church on Main Street who have been there since 2008. Films are still shown once a month in the 168-seat screen. Information from an article by James Durney. More history at http://www.kildare.ie/ehistory/index.php/naas-cinemas-the-coliseum/ and http://www.kildare.ie/library/ehistory/2012/08/naas_cinemas_the_dara.asp

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on January 28, 2008 at 6:45 am

The Dara Cinema can be seen ‘lit up’ on the left of this night time street scene of Naas. Photograph taken around November 2007:
http://flickr.com/photos/paulrailton/511169450/