13 Church Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The small town of Dufftown (the malt whiskey capitol of Scotland) is located in the Grampian area, in the north-east of Scotland. Built in 1879 as a two storey house with two shop units and a hall at the rear, which doubled as the Town Hall and a pub!
A projection box was added in the late 1930’s and films were projected from behind the screen (rear projection). The building is listed in editions of Kinematograph Yearbook from around 1948 as the Picture House. Seating was provided for 300 and the proscenium was 24 feet wide. One of the shops had been converted into a cafe.
The Picture House was operating bingo some nights a week in 1962 and was still operating in 1969, but must have closed in the 1970’s (it has gone from listings in 1980). Today the former Picture House is in use as a cafe and the Glenfiddich Restaurant.
On the 14th October 1976, Historic Scotland designated the Picture House a Grade B Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater