21-23 Justice Mill Lane,
2 people favorited this theater
Built by Poole’s Theatres chain, the Regent Cinema opened on 27th February 1932 with 2,000 seats. From June 1936 it was taken over by County Cinemas, who were themselves taken over by the Oscar Deutsch chain of Odeon Theatres Ltd. in September 1939. It was re-named Odeon on 29th July 1940.
Aberdeen architect Thomas Scott Sutherland designed the Regent Cinema, which has a striking facade of glazed granite blocks that are stepped in a Baroque style. Seating in the auditorium was provided in stalls and circle levels. The proscenium was 30 feet wide and in the early days occasional variety shows were staged, as well as film presentations. There was also a cafe provided for the use of patrons.
In 1947 the seating capacity had been reduced to 1,865; 1,433 in the stalls and 432 in the circle. In April 1974 it was converted into a triple-screen operation with 793 seats in the circle and former front stalls areas and two 123 seat mini-cinemas located in the former rear stalls under the circle. In 1991 two additional screens were added in the former front stalls area which each seated 219.
The Odeon was re-furbished in 1995 and was closed on 13th June 2001. The auditorium was gutted, the circle removed, as was the stage and it was converted into a Wellmans Health Studio which opened in August 2002.
On 10th August 1998, Historic Scotland designated the Odeon a Grade C(s) Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater