No one has favorited this theater yet
The La Scala Cinema opened in March 1927. It was built for and was operated by Thomas Ormiston.
The facade of the cinema has a central white faiance feature, with Egyptian style pillars flanking the recessed entrance, which has a street pay-box. There is a brick tower on each side of the building and these are topped by open wooden ‘belltowers’ which have pyramid shaped roofs. Inside the auditorium, the decoration was rather plain. There was a barrel-shaped ceiling and plaster mouldings surrounding the proscenium arch.
The La Scala Cinema was taken over by Denman/Gaumont British Cinemas Ltd. in March 1928. It was re-named Gaumont on 10th April 1950 and was closed by the Rank Organisation on 5th November 1960.
It was converted into a bingo club, last known as the Vogue Bingo Club which closed in 1997. The building became increasingly derelict and the auditorium was demolished in 2008. The facade has been retained and will serve as an entrance to a new entertainment center which will be built on the site.
This happened despite the building being designated a Grade B Listed building by Historic Scotland on 19th September 1979.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater