South West Mall, 32 King Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Arcade Music Hall was built inside a covered shopping arcade, constructed in 1882 and designed by architect John McLean. The theatre was upstairs on the first floor. It was built for William Crawford, a china merchant and had other buildings within the complex including a hotel.
Later re-named Alhambra Theatre when it went over to cine/variety use in 1912 and then from 1930 became it became a full time cinema using BTH sound equipment. It went back to live varity theatre use and was closed in 1939 due to the outbreak of World War II. It never re-opened. In 1963 it was converted into the furniture department of Menzies Department Store. Unfortunately the lavish auditorium ceiling was removed. Fragments of decoration survive behind panels etc. In 2016 the theatre parts of the building are used for storage.
On 28th October 1976, Historic Scotland designated the Alhambra Cinema a Grade B Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater