1192 Market Street,
14 people favorited this theater
Built in 1926 as a part of the Pantages Theatre circuit, the Pantages Theatre was opened February 20, 1926 with Sydney Chaplin in “Oh, What a Nurse” on the screen and six acts of vaudeville on the stage. It was equipped with a Robert-Morton 4 manual, 26 rank organ which was opened by organist Henri Lebel. The theatre sputtered through its first years as a vaudeville house and was sold to RKO. The theatre was reopened on September 6, 1929 as the New Orpheum Theatre and remained a first run movie house for the next 35 years.
The theatre was purchased by Metropolitan Theatres in October 1948. In 1953 it was sub-leased to Cinerama. In the 1970’s, closed briefly, and then reopened in 1977 for live theater. However, this conversion was not a success and it closed again in 1981.
The Shorenstein Hays Nederlander Organization bought the Orpheum Theatre in 1981 and reinvigorated it with the best travelling Broadway shows in the nation. Under their leadership, the Orpheum Theatre has now been going strong for over 20 years.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater