2 people favorited this theater
Located on the Boardwalk near the Million Dollar Pier and built on the site of the Great Northern Opera House. The Warner’s Embassy Theatre had its inaugural opening on June 19, 1929 with Warner Bros. ‘All Color, All Talking, All Dancing’ “On With the Show” plus a stage show. A gala opening happened on 22nd June 1929. Designed by Philadelphia architectural firm Hoffman-Henon Co. in a Moorish-Atmospheric style, seating was provided for 4,189, with 2,628 in the orchestra, 1,251 in the balcony and 310 loge seats. The proscenium was 65ft wide. It was equipped with a Wurlitzer 4 manual, 29 ranks organ which was opened by organist Stuart Barrie.
In the 1950’s it was renamed Warren Theatre and later became a live venue, attracting artistes such as Katherine Cornell, Brian Aherne, Diana Barrymore, Walter Slezak, Sam Levine, Jane Meadows & Julie Harris. On July 29, 1960, “Windjammer” was presented in CineMiracle 3-strip projection. The Warren Theatre had closed by 1966 and was converted into a bowling alley.
By 1978 the lobby was in use as a pizza parlor. In the late-1970’s the auditorium and main lobby were demolished to make way for a casino. The facade, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places was preserved and now serves as the Boardwalk entrance to Bally’s Casino.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater